Subscribe to N6408C Bearhawk 4 Place Builders Log

Monday, October 22, 2018

Brake Lines

Ok, Bearhawk builders.  There are a few discussions in the manuals about brakes lines, but there's little to be desired when it comes to specifics and details.  So after scouring the bearhawkforums.com site looking for contributions on the subject, I posted a request for a parts list.  

Jared Yates provided a link to his photo guide to brake line hardware from the Bearhawk.Tips site.  Thank you, Jared.

I also received the following "CAD drawing" from a fellow builder, which helped tremendously.  



After understanding how the master cylinders feeds each other, the brake line system is pretty straight forward.  The majority of the system uses flex lines.  There are several choices for flex lines, I opted for SS braided lines.  There are a few short runs where it is suggested to use hard lines, but I decided to go entirely with the SS braided flex lines.  These are the  -4 P.T.F.E. (pronounced "Dash 4")  We have the Charlotte Motor Speedway nearby and with this being "NASCAR heaven", I am fortunate to choose from a variety speed shops in the area where I can get these parts OTC.  

I bought 25' of SS -4 Flex Line.  To cut the line, I used a "Heavy Duty Braided Hose Cutter Tool".  If you enter that description on Amazon, you can find one for $20.  Also, living near a major city means Amazon can deliver almost anything next day, or even same day for free if you are a Prime member.

For the fittings, I am using these -4 three piece reusable hose ends.  To reuse this type of fitting you only have to replace the brass "olive".  The trick to installing these ends is, 1). Remember to slide the collar over the line FIRST.  2).  Position the olive under the steel braiding and OVER the plastic line.  It takes a little finagling but I got the hang of it pretty quickly.  



Lines connected to the master cylinders.  I used various angled nipples as needed.  Teflon tape on the NPT threads. I also installed the parking brake valve on the firewall.  


Here are the lines going down both sides of the longerons using Adel clamps to secure.  

Left side.

Right side.

Routing for the gear legs.

Mounted the brake fluid reservoir on the firewall.  (Could not fully install and plumb due to the rotisserie)


When ready, I will charge the system from the bottom of the calipers up, with Mobil 1 ATF, which is what is recommended on the Bearhawk Builders Forum. 



UPDATE 12-19-2018...

I decided that the original line routing behind the master cylinders was too loopy.  I changed the lines to a more "flat" configuration.  (Also painted to interior tubes and firewall black since I initially installed the brake lines).  I used a 90 degree bulkhead fitting with a .05 aluminum doubler on the firewall for the line to the brake reservoir.




No comments:

Post a Comment