Subscribe to N6408C Bearhawk 4 Place Builders Log

Monday, May 20, 2019

Fuselage Fabric Covering, Fabric Filler, Prime & Paint

I used the Stewart Systems fabric covering and waterborne paint products.  And could not be happier!  It took me about six weeks to cover and fully paint the fuselage.  

I used the blanket method for covering the fuselage.  I began on the bottom, then the sides, the vertical stabilizer, and finally the top.  The transition from the leading edge of the V-Stab to the top was a little tricky, but again the Stewart Systems videos are exceptional for detailing the fabric covering and painting process.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrlV5GMsw4S6zTn9bzjFwkA

I was prepared to accept a marginal paint job considering my experience and conditions.  So to say I am happy with the results would be an understatement.  The top coat came out PERFECT!  

I have to attribute much of the success of this paint job to the equipment I chose to use.  Stewart Systems say that 95% of bad paint jobs come from poor or inappropriate equipment.  So I selected everything they recommended including a high output air compressor that could keep up with long run times and maintain consistent pressure at the gun, high flow fittings and hoses, high performance air dryer, and a high performance HVLP paint gun with an inline pressure gauge.  

I cannot say enough about the Stewart Systems for fabric and paint!


The Blanket Covering Method



Installing the Tapes

1 coat brushed and 3 coats sprayed EcoFill



Covering the Gear Legs



1 cross coat EcoPrime



Masking for 2 tone 




1/4" pin stripes were painted between the 2 tone.  More difficult, but better looking.


6 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon your YouTube videos a couple months ago and now your blog. I am truly inspired by your impressive progress in a limited space!
    I've been dreaming of homebuilding for 20 years and am strongly considering a BH4 as the C180 market has gotten ridiculous.
    I check daily for your updates and hope to see your first flight soon.
    Perhaps you can post on the engine and prop combo you are going with. Also, tire choice?
    Thanks again for sharing your experience!
    Brian Carpenter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following along...

    My engine is the Lycoming Thunderbolt YIO-540-EXP. I purchased the engine new from Lycoming feeling more comfortable going with an experimental engine that was built in the Lycoming factory. I will be hanging the engine soon. The prop is a new Hartzell 84" Trailblazer composite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reply!
    Can't wait for your next post/ video!
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your paint job is stunning. I hope to be able to do half that good when I get to that point some day. You mentioned using Plane Schemer and that they provided some sort of pattern. I'd like to learn more about that. Would it be inappropriate to ask what that service cost?
    I sure enjoy following along. Thanks for making the effort to share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Contact Jonathan McCormick at https://planeschemer.com/ . His pricing is standard for almost any design he creates. $1,000 plus $200 for the stencil. He will make as many designs as he needs until you are satisfied. He is fantastic to work with!

    ReplyDelete