Subscribe to N6408C Bearhawk 4 Place Builders Log

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Learning Fabric Covering using Stewart Systems

Over the past week I installed the cabin floors, rudder pedals/brake master cylinders and the control stick assembly.  I had a slight problem with the control stick assembly binding after attaching it to the floor tabs.  After several on-off installations, I removed a slight amount of material around the torque tube, lubed it up real good, and now it moves free and correct without any binding.  Very smooth!

I could and will do more on the fuselage soon, but what really has my interest is the fabric covering process and I am challenged to learn as much as I can about how to do it and what is the best system to use.  This will be my first time covering an airplane so I have been excited to "figure it out"!

I looked at several systems.  I learned that poly fiber is the most popular, but requires excellent ventilation and some level of skill.  I ruled out poly fiber because I did not want a solvent based system and the volatile fumes.  Oratex was another choice, but I ran across some negative reviews.  I ultimately decided on the Stewart Systems.  Primarily because it's a water based system and their training videos are amazing!  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrlV5GMsw4S6zTn9bzjFwkA

I wanted to learn the basics so I started by covering the both horizontal stabilizers.  If it were not for the Stewart training videos, I would've had some problems.  But I studied the videos and picked up the process quickly.  In fact, I really enjoyed it!  There are a few things that only after just doing it that you learn and cannot be taught on a video.  How to use the pinking shears, for example.  Just take some scrap fabric and make some cuts.  You don't want to use the pinking shears for the first time on your final cuts.  Understanding how much or how little glue to use.  Using the iron to bond the fabric to the glued edges.  Whether to use rib stitching or rib rivets.  I decided on rib rivets, but had a hard time finding any resources on how to install them.  The Stewart videos do not explain rib rivets, but I found this builders log that showed me the way.  https://bleriotxi.com/diary/fabric/

I can't say that fabric covering is hard.  It just takes some time to "get it".  I'm looking forward to covering the rest of the control surfaces and the fuselage!

I estimate that it took me about 12 hours to cover these two pieces.  I still need to apply the perimeter tape then those surfaces will be ready for filler.




With perimeter tape...






2 comments: