Subscribe to N6408C Bearhawk 4 Place Builders Log

Friday, January 17, 2020

Wiring and Electrical System


Video from my YouTube Channel discussing the Wiring and Electrical System

I won't get into the specifics of the ignition system in this post, but I need to say what ignition system I am going with for the purpose of understanding what I am wiring.  Because, I previously stated that I would be using a Light Speed dual electronic ignition system.  But I changed my mind and decided I would go with a SureFly electronic ignition on the left side, with a Slick Magneto on the right side.  Then, I changed my mind again...  NOW, I am installing dual Slick Magnetos (6393 retard left, 6350 plain right).  Why?  Because Champion Aerospace offers the SureStart Ignition Booster for their dual Slick Magneto Systems.  They claim engine starts on the 2nd or 3rd blade every time, hot or cold.  I'll explain more when I post the Ignition System blog...

Ok, the Electrical and Wiring process went very well!  But I could not have done it without the help of Jason Smith at Aerotronics.  Aerotronics built my instrument panel and then shipped it to me.  After I mounted the panel and it was my job to bring all of the wires (fuel pump, lights, sensors, battery contactor, P-Leads, etc) through the firewall to panel.  This is accomplished with a 37 pin P1 Circular Connector Plug, a.k.a., the P1 Plug.  Aerotronics prewires the female end of the P1 Plug at the panel.   They map all of the pin locations and then send me the pin map for wiring the male end of the P1 Plug that I assemble.  In addition, based on my choice for a ignition system, Aerotronics also supplied me with a schematic for everything else to be brought through the firewall going to the circuit breaker panel.  It's a full diagram of the entire wiring system firewall forward.  I couldn't have done it without their help.  I read Bob Knuckles book, The Aeroelectric Connection as well as other related books and websites to help me understand the process, methods and technical aspects.


Some of the items that will be mounted to the firewall.




A partial list of electrical components installed in the engine compartment:
Misc.


This is a poor picture of the P1 Plug.  The left side with the white 
wires is the female end and was prewired by Aerotronics.  I ran 
the wires to the right side and assembled the male end of the plug.  
The two plug ends mate to create the connection from the (mostly)
firewall component to the instruments and switches on the panel.


Instead of mounting the current limiter and ammeter shunt to the firewall, 
these were installed on a table behind the instrument panel on the 
cabin side of the firewall.


Leads from the current limiter and ammeter shunt to the circuit breaker panel.




Battery contactor connections.  2AWG wire
to the starter.  And 4AWG wire to the alternator.


Various connections including firewall penetrations, remote oil and 
fuel sensors, battery contactor to starter contactor, etc.


Short run from the battery negative (2AWG) to the
24 tab airframe ground.  4AWG black wire from the ground 
block to the engine ground.  Ground block attaches 
to a firewall mounting tab on the airframe.   


The green donut surrounding the battery positive 
is a hall current sensor from the battery


On the left; standby voltage regulator.  On the right; SureStart Ignition Booster


EGT & CHT sensor wires above the standby voltage regulator.


I did not use any plain zip ties.  All wires were grouped together with 
polyester wire lacing.  Wire groups were secured to engine mount
tubes with Grip Lock Ties


Wire lacing can be tedious and time consuming, but I think the outcome 
is well worth the effort.  It shows pride in workmanship, and I just like the way
it looks.  Once you learn how to tie, it's actually pretty easy.  Just tie
2 half hitches as shown here, pull tight, then lock it in with a 
single square knot.


The panel was originally designed for a dual electronic ignition
system, therefore creating a need for two batteries and battery switches.
As I am now going with a dual magneto system, I eliminated one of the
switches, as seen here.  This is good.  If I every want to convert to dual
electronic ignition, my panel can accommodate. 


Eliminated the hot bus for the dual EI.  
Also installed a warning light for the standby alternator 
which comes on if the primary alternator fails.


The aftermath

No comments:

Post a Comment