Subscribe to N6408C Bearhawk 4 Place Builders Log

Saturday, August 4, 2018

Misc. Build Items

(Update 9-25-18 - Scroll down to the cable swaging section for a revision)

Ben and I returned from Oshkosh AirVenture 2018 last weekend.  It was a great trip and we came home with tons of ideas for the Bearhawk build.  Got to spend time with Mike Silvernagle, Canadian Bearhawk Distributor https://bearhawkcanada.ca  Always enjoy hanging out with Mike and talking Bearhawks!

Below are a few miscellaneous items I've worked on over the past month:



Installed all of the aluminum stringers attaching with stainless steel safety wire.  I will remove and modify the upper stringers during the skylight installation.



A large access panel is needed at the tail section.  I considered two on either side but decided one was big enough.  I used aluminum angle for the frame and .05 aluminum plate for the cover.  I initially tried .032 for the cover, but I was not satisfied that it was substantial enough.







REVISED 9-25-2018: You will see below that I double swaged all of my cable connections.  One of my Bearhawk builder buddies pointed out that double swaging can actually degrade the performance of the joint and referenced AC43.13 13-1B Fig 7-14.   So I cut all of my cables and re-swaged
everything.

Single swage.


AC43.13 13-1B Fig 7-14



(Below is the original cable swaging log entry)

Swaged and installed the control cables to the elevator, rudder and flaps.  I decided to double swage everything for peace of mind.  I also use safety wire for the castle nuts.  I feel that SS safety wire is a stronger connection vs. a cotter pin.





Right rudder cable pull test to 65lbs

Left rudder cable pull test to 73lbs

First time with Rudder and Tailwheel attached.  Going back on rotisserie after this shot.  




I am considering installing the instrument panel at a 20 degree forward angle.  I will also look at 30 degrees as suggested by Mike Silvernagle.  One of my navaids will be 14" deep so will need to make sure it does not hang too low.  More on the instrument panel tilt here...  


No comments:

Post a Comment